Friday, January 6, 2012

Inspiration

Have you ever been inspired? All of us can probably point to at least one time in our life when we were genuinely inspired. I don't mean motivated...I mean inspired...there is a difference.

There are all sorts of things that can do that to and for us...special moments in our lives, tragedies, songs, nature, literature, people...so many different things can serve to inspire us.

A friend of mine was inspired by a photograph she took almost 10 years ago while vacationing at Edisto Island, South Carolina. Rising early one morning, Jan went down to the shoreline to take some pictures of the sunrise with a borrowed camera (she didn't even own one of her own.) After she returned from her trip and had the film developed, she and her friend Mary were looking through the photos and discovered an image in the clouds in one of the photos that left them both speechless. What Jan and Mary saw in the photograph was a face. That photograph served as an inspiration for Jan to ultimately write a short, 16-page book she titled "The Lord Make His Face Shine Upon Thee and Be Gracious Unto Thee." The title page adds: "A Story of Love, Loss, Rebellion, Redemption, Grace and God's Favor." What makes the photograph even more significant is the fact that, prior to her trip, Jan, in her prayer time, had made a very specific request of God.

Last year, Jan shared with me that she was going to write the book...a special story about the photograph and what it meant to her. I told her that I thought that was a great idea and encouraged her to do so (she really didn't need any encouraging from me because she had already been inspired to write it.) Many months ago, she brought a manuscript to my store and asked me if I would like to read what she had written. I said yes but honestly didn't really plan to read all of it. During a slow point in the day, I opened the manila folder containing the pages she had written... I read every word and was moved by the story that she shared. There were a few places that nearly brought me to tears. What she has written is a story about a photograph but, maybe more importantly, a poignant story about her own life and faith journey.

Unfortunately, Jan was not successful in finding a publisher willing to print her book so she had a local printer produce copies of the book for her. One of Jan's co-workers helped her with the layout. Jan's desire was to have some books ready for Christmas but, problems with the local printer's equipment made that goal seem unattainable. Somehow (!), the problem was resolved and Jan received the first batch of books on December 23rd. Jan had decided one of those books was going to be for me. I feel honored and blessed that she would give me one of her first copies.


Why am I blogging about Jan's book? Because Jan was inspired by a photograph to write a book and, Jan's reasons for and decision to write a book inspired me to start writing my blog. Funny how that works.

Want some inspiration? Contact Jan Ayer and ask to buy a copy of her book.

Jan's photograph, which she titled "Safe Haven," has been shared with several notable people/groups including Dr. Charles Stanley, President George W. and Laura Bush, Thomas Kincade, and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. Their responses are detailed at the end of the book.

Jan can be contacted through her Facbook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment