Saturday, December 31, 2011

Didn't they used to be called sneakers?

Nike Air Jordan 11 Retro Concord
I'll admit that I am an old guy. I don't really think of myself that way but, the reality is, that I have been alive nearly 1/4th as long as the United States has existed.

Nike recently released the new Air Jordan 11 Retro Concords and it caused widespread pandemonium at shoe stores this month. The Air Jordan line of athletic shoes has consistently been a best seller ever since their introduction in 1985. There are so many brands of athletics shoes nowadays that it almost makes your head spin...Nike, Adidas, Reebok, New Balance, Puma, Asics, K-Swiss and the list goes on and on.

run faster, jump higher PF Flyers
Back in my day these athletics shoes were simply called sneakers and I only remember 3 brands...Converse, PF Flyers and Keds. I don't remember any guys wearing Keds, though. Seems like they were mostly the brand that the girls liked. I remember PF Flyers advertising that promised that I could "run faster and jump higher" if I wore their brand with the "magic wedge" insole. Really? I mean, all the kids wore them so how was I going to gain any advantage in the running and jumping department? It didn't matter...Johnny Quest wore PF Flyers and that was good enough for me even if PF Flyers were owned by the BF Goodrich tire company. I guess rubber is rubber.

Converse All Stars



As I grew older it seemed to be cooler to wear Converse...the basic Converse All Stars (aka Chuck Taylors) because that was what most of the professional basketball players wore. The likelihood of seeing a pair of Converse on the basketball court today is right up there with seeing a two-handed set shot.



Converse- 11 ways better!
There is no comparison between the sneakers of my day and the technologically advanced shoe designs that exist now. Today's shoes are so much better for today's athletes.

When I was a kid, a pair of Converse sneakers sold for around $6. Today, you can spend $200 for high end sneakers. Shortly after the new Air Jordans were released, they were selling on Ebay for $500. Today you can buy a pair of Converse All Stars for about $25 a pair.

Hey, they were good enough for Chuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment