Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Do you (a) attend church or (b) participate in worship?

Did you go to church Sunday? If the answer is "Yes" did you get anything out of the service? Did you enjoy the music? If I am being honest I will admit that sometimes the music is better than at other times. Did you notice that they moved the Offertory back to being after the sermon and for whatever reason we didn't sing the Doxology? That's strange because we always sing the Doxology...we've been singing Old 100th since they laid the cornerstone in the building. The other thing I noticed is that some of the ushers were dressed like they were heading out to the golf course right after the service...golf shirts under jackets (no ties of course) sure seemed a bit too casual but that's just my opinion. Oh, and what was going on with the pipe organ on the (I think) third song? Sounded like they cranked up the volume way too loud. I did thoroughly enjoy the drama that the students did. That gal who is the daughter of our Chairman of the Deacons is quite the talent...she didn't mess up any of her lines (some of the other kids had a few problems and that one guy said the girl's part by mistake) I think the drama was from one of the Old Testament stories..I can't really remember but I do remember that the costumes that the ladies' class made were perfect. They always do such a good job. I'll admit, I could have done without that solo. That song just didn't seem appropriate for church although the words were very powerful. But why did they feel the need to have those two guitars and the drums playing on her song? I'm just not sure how I feel about that.

What was up with the bulletin? Has it always been that small? Maybe the church is trying to save some money on paper. I was a little upset that, due to the repair work they were doing to the parking lot, I ended up having to park in the adjacent parking lot that belongs to that insurance company. I would have thought that they would have had a shuttle or something available so that we would not have had to walk that far. By the time I got back to my car after the service, it had to have been ten after twelve. Forget even trying to go that late to the cafeteria by the mall. The wait would have been way too long. Speaking of repairs, the good news is they finally seemed to get the temperature right in the sanctuary. I know the weather has been a little crazy lately but it was uncomfortable in there the last two Sundays. I don't understand why they can't keep the temperature where I like it.

I saw in the newsletter that the preacher's sermon next week is out of the book of Leviticus. I wish he would just stick to sermons out of the New Testament...I really prefer the gospels and most of Paul's letters. He mentioned something about inviting the Holy Spirit into our service or Holy Spirit power  (or something like that) ...I'll admit that sort of talk makes me a little uncomfortable. I was watching a service on TV the other day and folks were proclaiming the Holy Spirit and were jumping around with their hands up in the air. My goodness, I just can't believe that people think that God wants us to behave that way. You would think they were at a football game cheering their team or something.

Well, I am pretty excited about going to church next week. I bought a new outfit and I know (not meaning to brag or anything) that it will be noticed. I have always thought that we should look our best and this outfit does the job. My luck someone else bought the same outfit...that would be a little embarrassing.

Anyway...I'll see you at church next Sunday! Praise the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. “A good shoe is a shoe you don’t notice…. The perfect church service would be one we were almost unaware of; our attention would have been on God. But every novelty prevents this. It fixes our attention on the service itself; and thinking about worship is a different thing from worshipping.” (Letters to Malcolm C.S. Lewis)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Julie- Great quote! (and spot on) I was obviously being a bit "over the top" in my story. Thanks for making my point so well.

    ReplyDelete