Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Why do we still talk like that?

From time to time I actually pay attention to the things I say. Sometimes, I will use a phrase that makes absolutely no sense today but did mean something specific a while back.

"I am going out to crank up the car" (at one time you literally had to turn a crank to start an engine)
"You sound like a broken record" (vinyl records that had a scratch would sometimes keep playing the same part over and over)
"It was all caught on tape" (video cameras at one time recorded on magnetic tape)
"Dial her number and see if she answers" (telephones used to have rotary dials)
"He hung up on me" (in the old days, the phone was placed in its cradle to end the call)
"Wind up your watch" (in the days before watches with batteries)
"Please cc me on that memo" (CC means carbon copy, we used to use carbon paper for making multiple copies)
"Roll up the car windows" (I don't think they even make manual window cranks anymore)

Then there are common terms that in the past meant something different. Computer and calculator are common enough terms. 60 years ago those terms were a job description, not a machine. Yeah, 60 years ago a guy came home from work and told his wife that he was promoted. He was now going to be a computer. Maybe his name was Dell.

It just goes to show that the world we live in is changing at a rapid pace. Doesn't seem that long ago (to me) that we had VCR's, bag phones, a Walkman, record players, 8-tracks, typewriters, 35mm film, Polaroids, toilets that actually flushed everything, penny candy, Palm Pilots, AOL disks that came in the mail, Blockbuster, paper maps, pay phones, pinball machines, floppy disks, encyclopedia salesmen, and New Coke (New Coke lasted about 3 weeks).











Tell me the ones I left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment