Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Get a job


Let me just proclaim up front that I am no economics expert. I spent many years in corporate America, about half of those years in an executive position, and have a pretty good idea of how large corporations operate and how they make business decisions. I have been a small business owner for almost 5 years and have learned (sometimes painfully) about what it takes to operate and try to grow your own business. Over my career I have hired and fired and laid off many people. Hiring people is pretty cool...the other two...not so much.

The President is going to give a speech later this week about his ideas for creating more jobs. I'm not sure why he has waited so long to release his plan. Like most of you, I will listen intently to what he has to say although I am not optimistic that he will present much that will actually be successful in creating more jobs. Again, I'm no expert but here's my opinion. Take it or leave it...
  • Real job growth has to come from the private sector...that is the engine for job creation
  • Adding government jobs is a stop-gap measure that, while providing some short-term relief, ultimately has a negative effect on our free market economy. However, this is the only way the Executive Branch can directly "create" jobs (assuming Congress will fund it,) but not a good reason to employ this strategy.
  • The White House and Congress need to stimulate job growth by making the regulatory, monetary, trade and tax policy changes necessary that will create the incentive for businesses to move back down a path of spending with some confidence that the government is not going to do things that add to the inherent cost and risk of investing for the future. The White House seems to be in a punitive mode regarding business. It might satisfy some personal desire to "get back" at business but we all now are facing the consequences of that posture. Bashing business does nothing to enhance the economic environment. Helping businesses and workers that are non-union must carry as much priority as your union favorites.
  • The passage of the "to hell with what they think" Obamacare has had a serious negative effect on the business world. Just look at what many companies say they are going to do...pay the penalties and drop their employer sponsored health plans. Of course, this fits well with the ultimate goal of the Democrats of a single-payer system. Those businesses that keep their health plans will be looking even more closely at their headcount.
  • While we must provide some safety net, we have to be mindful that extended unemployment benefits, while keeping some people afloat, can do great harm to a person's psyche. The hope has to be in finding a job, not in getting an unemployment check. I have had people turn down jobs I offered because they could make as much, if not more staying home, watching TV and receiving a check. I was told, "if my benefits were about to run out, I'd probably take the job, but I'll just keep drawing unemployment as long as I can." I know most people probably don't have this mindset. But, the longer the benefit remains the more likely the person will eventually acquire this kind of attitude. This is a tough issue. I don't know the answer...more jobs is really the only answer. 
  • It is going to take many years for the unemployment rate to drop to historically low levels...it may be never. The world has changed.
  • The minimum wage should not have been changed. Minimum wage jobs are not intended to provide a living wage. Most of these jobs are targeted towards students, part time employees and the lowest skill level workers. Unfortunately, raising the rate hurts more than it helps.
  • The progressive/liberal ideology that generates a particular view of "social/ economic fairness" has clouded, not only the view of the role of government, but has also made it convenient to stereotype the business community as greedy and evil. There has been and will always be parts of the business world that do really bad things and they need to be dealt with accordingly. But let's make sure the federal government isn't part of the problem by manipulating our very complex economy with unrealistic objectives such as home ownership for all. We see how that turned out.
  • Overhaul the tax system. Period. I personally like the concepts of the Fair Tax but I'm open to anything that is better than what we have now....which would be just about anything. Neither party, however, wants to lose the power that is inherent in our current system. They can reward those they want to reward and punish those they want to punish...not a good system....completely corrupted. I doubt I will ever see this change in my lifetime without term limits.
  • President Obama...give ONE speech where you do not blame our problems on the Bush Administration and where you do not attack the Republicans/ Tea Party/ Conservatives/ Talk Radio or any other group you disagree with. Do not talk as a partisan Democrat...talk like you are the President of the entire United States...because, at least for the next year or so...you are. Powerful, dynamic leaders have the ability to inspire others to do incredible things. Show us what you've got. But remember, it's not all about you or fulfilling your own personal agenda. It's about America and Americans. Be realistic but also be positive. In many ways, you set the tone.
  • The reality is that some people do not like you and will never listen to you simply because you are black. They are ignorant, small  people and represent an insignificant portion of the population. They have always been around and, unfortunately, always will be. Those of us that do not agree with your policies resent being included in that group and are angered to be accused of being racist.
 President Obama, I continue to pray that God will grant you wisdom and courage to lead this nation. Millions of Americans need a job. Let's figure this thing out.

2 comments:

  1. Applause!! Everything you say is spot on. I only want to add to your comments about unemployment based on my own recent experience.

    I am a "victim of the economy" having being laid off along with several other people when the owner of the firm where I worked made the decision to close our department in January 2010. Shortly thereafter I relocated to Atlanta and with my stellar resume in tow set out to find the perfect job in the big city. Much to my dismay it would prove to be a long and arduous task involving networking with any organization that would have me as a "guest" at a luncheon, monthly meeting, etc. and every new person I met in hopes of leading me to that right and perfect person who would help me secure the right and perfect job. I knew that I would have to take drastic pay cuts in order to secure something in our broken economy but I was prepared to do so "just to get my foot in the door".

    After a year of dead-ends, countless interviews, call-backs, disappointments and closing doors I finally came to the realization that I was being discriminated against because I was unemmployed. Yep, that's right. These high-profile firms did not want to hire me because I was out of work and had been out of work for several months no matter how awesome I might be. A lot of emphasis was placed on "testing"; grammar tests, typing tests, secretarial skills tests, Excel tests, MS Word tests, blah, blah, blah. One company determined I failed miserably when I could only type 96wpm in a 5-minuted timed test because I had 8 errors; a direct result of not having worked daily for the past several months. This very thing kept me from getting the job.

    The days of looking great on paper and in person, and convincing someone in Corporate America of your abilities is gone, gone and GONE. The employer only wants to hire someone who is employed.....sad but true.

    I finally landed my dream job with a school. I have never worked in a school before but they were impressed and they gave me the chance I so deserved. The pay is equal to about what I made 25 years ago, but the perks are amazing and you can't beat the location either....about 5 blocks from my house which in Atlanta is worth its weight in gold! No commute!

    After all is said and done I am a happy camper and I feel for those people out there who are still looking and going through what I went through day after day, week after week, watching the months roll by with no hope of getting off unemployment benefits. I guess the people who take the lazy way out to milk the system give the rest of us who really want and need the job a bad name.

    So, Mike, that could be your next subject for your blog.....how some of us pay the price for those few who...(fill in the blanks)

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts! They are very profound and a pleasure to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous- sorry I am so late responding. Thanks for your comment on this post as well as the others. Your story of trying to find a job is, unfortunately, a common one. So glad to hear that you have found a job. I applaud your "stick-to-it-iveness". Many people would have given up. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete