Sunday, April 26, 2020

If I Have It, I Hope I'm Symptomatic


Some symptoms are better than others

We are witnessing and experiencing a global pandemic of a novel coronavirus that has been labeled SARS-CoV-2. Many of us have gained a whole new glossary of terms that has been thrust onto our collective vernacular and we furiously attempt to learn all that we can about the virus and its resulting disease called COVID-19. One of the things we have learned is that people infected with the virus may or may not show any outward, noticeable symptoms. Testing is being done on several levels. Some of the testing is to confirm whether people with symptoms do, in fact have COVID-19 or some other viral infection like influenza. This allows doctors to know the appropriate course of treatment as well as how to deal with issues of quarantine, contact tracing, etc.. Some of the testing is to see if asymptomatic (not showing symptoms) people are, in fact, carrying the disease. Some of the testing is to see if people are carrying antibodies which would be an indicator of a "successful," previous exposure/infection. Symptomatic. Asymptomatic. If you have this disease, can anyone tell? Is it noticeable to you and others around you?

I have been thinking lately about the whole issue of symptoms. My wife and I were both sick in mid-March with symptoms that, at any other time, I would have simply attributed to a cold. But, not this time. I took temperature readings every 4-6 hours and continuously asked my wife a litany of questions to see if she was experiencing any of the known symptoms of COVID-19 (we didn't and it WAS just a cold.)

But, this blog post isn't about SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19.

If anyone asks me if I am religious, if I'm a believer, what church I attend, or any number of other queries that might answer my "spiritual identity," I would answer that I am a Christian... a follower of Jesus Christ. The church I attend is very important to me... it is the fellowship of believers with whom my wife and I have been partnered since 1983. But, it is secondary to who I am. As a believer and follower of Christ, I know that the Holy Spirit "resides" in me as in other followers of Christ.

So, this brings me back to the title of this blog. If I Have It, I Hope I'm Symptomatic.

If I am a Christian, do I demonstrate any of the symptoms?

In addition to the commands from Jesus that we find in the Gospels, the 5th Chapter of the Book of Galatians provides a pretty good summary of what those "symptoms" should look like. The entire chapter reveals attributes that a believer should be living. But, there are two verses in particular, verses 22 and 23, that are simple yet powerful. These verses are typically described as defining the "fruits of the Spirit." The symptoms, if you will, of a person who is a Christ follower.

22 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control..."

There are people walking around right now with the coronavirus inside of them... but you would have a hard time knowing it from observing them. There is very little that is noticeable from the outside... nothing that distinguishes them from all the other people walking around.

Love. Joy. Peace. Patience. Kindness. Goodness. Faithfulness. Gentleness. Self-Control

I hope I'm symptomatic. I want what is inside of me to be manifested on the outside. And, as opposed to a virus, this is one thing I am eager to share with others.


2 comments:

  1. This is an excellent piece. You should lost to you FB story to gain a wider audience. And yes, dear Mike, your "symptoms" are quite apparent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks but I'm not sure how to post a blog link in a FB Story

    ReplyDelete