Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What do the Olympics teach us?

Sweet

I've never competed in the Olympics. At least not THE Olympics. You want to know why? Because my athletic prowess, even in my prime, did not measure up to the best in the world. In fact, I wasn't even the best in my school or neighborhood. I competed in my share of sports growing up...baseball, football, and track as well as playing several others just for fun. I have (or had) a few trophies and ribbons but no bronze, silver or gold medals.

Why is this? Why do some people get to be Olympic athletes and most others not? Bill Toomey won the decathlon in the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City. Despite sharing the same last name, I am not related to Bill Toomey so his athletic ability did not get passed down to me.

I love the Olympics because it is raw competition. In the case of team sports, if you lose enough games...you're out...no chance for a medal. If you compete in an individual event and don't qualify in the preliminary heats, it's over. You don't even get to run or swim (or whatever) in the final race for the medal. You're done.

Why does Michael Phelps swim so fast? He won 4 gold medals and 2 silvers in these Olympics. How does Usain Bolt outrun everyone he goes up against? He won a gold medal in all 3 events in which he competed. On the other hand,  Lolo Jones finished 4th in the 100m hurdles. You know what you get for 4th place? Nothing. She didn't win a medal. We all saw Jordyn Wieber in tears when she did not qualify for the women's gymnastics all-around finals because she scored lower than her teammates Gabby Douglas and Aly Raisman. Oh, Jordyn had the 4th best score of all competitors in the preliminaries but the rules say only 2 people from each country can compete in the finals. This is a strange rule and I believe one of the few in the Olympics like this. In almost every other case, the top scoring people in the preliminaries or qualifying heats advance to the finals regardless of what country they represent. In fact, the US women (team A) played the US women (team B) in the beach volleyball final for the gold medal. Pretty much assured that the US wins the gold and silver medal.

Competition. There is something about (most of) us that loves to watch people compete athletically. I read today that NBC's coverage of the 2012 Olympics was the most-watched event in television history. We definitely tuned in.

Some are uncomfortable with all this competition. Winners...losers. Sounds pretty harsh. Is it fair that some athletes won and others didn't? The obvious answer is "yes" but, still, it gets some people squirming a little.

When I was a young guy and played sports, there were often trophies awarded to individual, standout players. If your team won, the entire team got a trophy. Runners-up sometimes got trophies too but, they were always smaller. Today, some youth leagues give trophies to everyone that "participates." What is that all about? I can get a trophy simply by participating? How meaningful is that? Is this something that you display with pride on your dresser at home? I think not.

I remember when you were invited to a birthday party as a kid, you brought a present for the birthday boy or girl because it was HIS or HER birthday...not yours. Today, it is often the case that everyone that comes to the party gets some small gift. When did this practice begin? If it is your birthday and someone throws a party for you, aren't you supposed to be the center of attention? I mean, it's only 1 day a year. Are we so concerned that the other kids there may feel left out that we give everyone a present?

Awards and ribbons and medals and trophies should be earned. You shouldn't get one just for showing up. I dare say that the Usain Bolts and Michael Phelpses and Gabby Douglases worked countless hours honing their skills. They sacrificed when others were out enjoying their free time. They were committed to achieving something special and they did what was necessary to become the best they could be in their sport. There is no doubt that some of these athletes have been blessed with amazing physical abilities that they received from Mom's and Dad's DNA. It's no coincidence that the sons of the former great quarterback Archie Manning are both standout NFL quarterbacks. But, I bet both Peyton and Eli spent hours and hours throwing footballs in the backyard with Dad.

Back to my own athletic journey. Did I have the same opportunity as Usain Bolt to earn an Olympic gold medal in track? Yes. (Montreal in 1976 and Moscow in 1980 would have been MY Olympics...of course , Jimmy Carter boycotted the 1980 Olympics.) When I was in high school I ran the mile, 2-mile and I pole vaulted. I was pretty good....only pretty good. I finished first in a few meets but, I was not the best runner/ vaulter on my team... I won no state championships... no regional championships. Why not? I didn't work as hard as other athletes I competed against. Sure, some were better physical specimens than I but, that's not the primary reason I didn't excel.

Competitive sports can teach us a lot. We learn that being the best requires sacrifice and hard work and that applies regardless of whether you are trying to be the best gymnast or be successful in your career. Just showing up does not typically result in great success. But some folks want the same rewards regardless of the effort required for those rewards. We see people pointing fingers at others that are successful and say NOT FAIR! Just like in the Olympics sometimes you get only one real shot at winning the prize. Don't miss those opportunities. Why not, when you see a successful athlete or a successful business person or a successful married couple, not allow it to make you jealous or envious but, rather, allow it to motivate you to be the best you can be at whatever you pursue. That's gold right there. And let's stop with the participation trophies!

No comments:

Post a Comment