Thursday, April 5, 2012

ATTENTION: Turn signals do not lower your MPG

If you have filled your car up with gasoline lately, you have probably experienced sticker shock. Gasoline prices are near or, in some states, over $4.00 per gallon. My truck holds 22 gallons of gas. Do the math. The first new car I ever bought ( that came with a payment coupon book) was a 1974 aqua blue Chevrolet Camaro. My monthly payments were $134 a month. I now spend more in gas for my truck each month than what I used to pay to buy an entire car.

People are concerned with their fuel mileage. Some have traded in their older vehicles for newer models or hybrids or electric cars to lower their fuel costs.

Apparently, some drivers think they can conserve fuel by not using some of the comfort features of their cars. We all know that using your air conditioner puts added strain on the engine, thereby using more fuel. Now, I'm no electrical or mechanical engineer but I am pretty certain that not using you radio won't do much to help your car's fuel efficiency. Based on the extremely loud thumping sounds I hear from some vehicles with very tall, shiny rims, most folks continue to "turn it up."

But, did anyone advise people to not use their turn signals?

What the heck is up with people and turn signals? I know that it is incredibly inconvenient to use them. I mean, you have to lean across the seat, open the glove box and push a button to activate them. Oh wait, that's not right...the turn signal lever is on the steering column 1.786 inches from your hand. Gee, what an effort that requires.

Many drivers today have no common courtesy (or common sense.) Georgia law requires that you turn on your headlights when it is raining. The law also requires that you use your turn signals when you turn or change lanes. I think the reason that many drivers ignore these two mandates is because headlights when raining and turn signals don't actually benefit them...it is for the benefit of other drivers. And really, who gives a rat's chapeau about other drivers anymore?

Have you ever been at a stop sign trying to make a right hand turn and had to wait for the traffic coming from your left to pass so that you could make your move? Of course you have. But there is always that car approaching from your left that is moving fast enough that you believe that it is going straight so you wait. And then the car (with no turn signal on) turns right onto your street. Had you known, you could have already turned. But you didn't and now there are more cars coming and you still can't turn. Maybe they didn't put turn signals on that particular model of car. Sure.

I asked someone one time why they didn't use their turn signals (I still call them blinkers)...told me they were saving gas by using less electricity. You know, there should be some intelligence testing element to the driving test.

Hey, if you are going to turn your vehicle, how about letting us know about it...and not just 2 yards before you actually do it? Also, don't ride around with your turn signals on if you are NOT turning. That's even worse.

Thank you. I feel better

No comments:

Post a Comment